Ta-da! So here is what I’ve been upto in the kitchen last week. It took me a while to get this up on the site as my phone has gone off for repairs and it was just too much effort going upstairs to the desktop to write up this post. (I will make no excuses for my laziness) I have finally mustered up the energy to take the few steps that leads me to share with you this bubble and squeak recipe. It’s a very simple, yet healthy, snack to make for your little one. I actually served it to baby J as her main meal. It’s perfect as Jana doesn’t have enough teeth to tackle harder foods and this allows her to eat these vegetables, all mushed up, so she gets used to the taste with no fuss when there are horrible looking greens on her plate! Without further ado, here it is. Enjoy!
You will need:
- Olive oil or Ghee
- 1/4 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Medium Potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 5 Cooked Brussels sprouts, chopped (or broccoli or cabbage)
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs (or some fresh parsley)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
What to do:
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until soft.
2. Put the mashed potato and sprouts in a bowl and stir. I also added a couple of florets of cooked broccoli to my mixture. Add the cooked onion, herbs and eggs, season with black pepper, and mix well.
3. Put a further 1 tablespoon of the oil in the frying pan and warm over a medium heat.
4. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture for about 6-8 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides. (You may need to cook the mixture in batches – using some more oil, if necessary – depending upon the size of your frying pan.)
Have fun experimenting with another vegetable you might want to introduce to your child. I boiled all my vegetables a little more then I would for myself as I wanted it nice and tender. (making it easier for Jana to eat) She only ate a little over half, I was just glad she tried it. I will be trying this out again soon, she might have a better appetite for it next time!